1. Good Neighbor Rules
Our quiet rural neighborhood is the perfect spot for a desert retreat. We have wonderful neighbors on our block, and they value the peace and quiet too. Please keep them in mind as you enjoy the desert.
Quiet hours are 10pm-8am. These hours are strictly enforced.
Upper Grounds: Please ensure that sound does not carry beyond the courtyard walls, particularly past 10 pm.
Lower Grounds: Indoor-only sound past 10 pm.
2. Guest FAQs
Are you on a dirt road?
You'll be on a smooth, welll-maintained dirt road for about 1/8 mile. Otherwise, everything is paved.
How's the cell phone service?
Service is strong for all major service providers.
Do you have WiFi?:
Yes, WiFi is provided. We are on rural internet, which means that it is most often steady and reliable, if occasionally a bit slow when congested. Two people can certainly Skype on their separate laptops simultaneously. 20 people certainly could not. Inclement weather will sometimes cause interruption. Overall, it's serviceable for web-browsing, social-media-ing, Google Doc-ing, and non-simultaneous media streaming.
If you require 100% reliable high-speed Internet, we strongly advise that you bring a personal WiFi hot spot.
What is there to do?
Well, we definitely recommend our hot tubs and hammocks. Cocktails and horseshoes always seems to be a favorite, followed by an evening fire in our Fireside Lounge (if conditions allow).
There is a world beyond the ranch too! Check out our Joshua Tree page for local distances and orientation maps. If you are staying with us, you should have received our Joshua Tree Field Guide, full of local favorites and our insider tips.
What's the Uber/ Lyft situation?
There appears to be one Uber/ Lyft driver in town, and they are rarely available.
Your best bet is making arrangements with Lucky 777 Cab (760)660-9115. We would advise to book ahead of time, they have minivans for group excursions. If you are planning a group trip to Pappy & Harriet’s this would be the vest way to go. They know the route very very well from the ranch, as this is a very popular excursion. Do be aware that there is very limited cell service in Pioneertown.
I'd like to request an early check-in.
We keep to our 4pm check-in, as our maintenance and cleaning services rely on the allocated time block between guest bookings for regular cleaning/upkeep and also larger maintenance projects (such as building maintenance and repair, large landscaping projects).
Based on availability, you can reserve a portion of the Hi Desert Ranch (for example, the Upper Grounds only) for the day prior, which would block out this time for you to arrive at any time of your convenience during your check-in day. This is especially helpful if a portion of your group would prefer to arrive earlier for set-up.
I’d like to request a late check-out.
We keep to our 11am check-out as our maintenance and cleaning services rely on the allocated time block between guest bookings for their scheduled cleaning/maintenance.
Based on availability, you can reserve a portion of the Hi Desert Ranch (for example, the Upper Grounds only) for the day after, which would block out this time for you to depart at any time of your convenience during your check-out day.
The Hi Desert Ranch is a nature-immersed location, do pack with that in mind. Our nature path between the Lower Grounds and Upper Grounds is clear and well-marked, however prickly things are abundant in the desert, and closed-toe shoes would be most comfortable when walking the path.
Group Packing Suggestions
Ice for the outdoor drinks cooler
Firewood when fires are allowed. The easiest en-route firewood spot is Circle K (6940 Old Woman Springs Rd, Yucca Valley, CA 92284 )
Coffee, drinks, ice
Drinking water if you don't like tap water, it’s similar to LA tap water
Board games or cards
Cooking oil and groceries, any speciality cookware
Personal Packing Suggestions
Warm layers for the evenings
Body lotion and lip balm: The desert air can be drying, and this will help keep you comfortable
A sun hat
We suggest ear plugs and a sleeping mask if you are sensitive to light and noise
Day-pack with water bottle if you are hiking
Swimsuit for the hot tubs and pool
Reading/journaling material for the hammocks and reading nooks
WiFi hotspot if you absolutely require reliable high-speed internet
Kitchen cooking basics
Dish soap and sponges
Sugar, salt, pepper, a small array of spices
Service for twelve
Propane for the outdoor grill
Outdoor drinks cooler - bring your own ice
A Hair Dryer in each bath
Paper products (paper towels, toilet paper)
Foot pump for floaties, there might be some pool noodles and floaties from previous guests.
We are so glad to share The Hi Desert Ranch with you! In order to maintain a safe and enjoyable experience for our guests, we ask that you adhere to the following rules.
Guest understands information as contained in this rental listing, and agrees to the following. If rules are violated, we will issue an initial correction notice by phone and booking platform. If continued and/or egregious violation, the booking platform will be involved. This may result in cancellation of your reservation, which will require all guests to immediately vacate the premises.
Violation of the below rules may result in any/all of the following:
(a) cancellation of your reservation
(b) immediate expulsion from the premises
(c) additional charges (unauthorized activity fees as noted below + damages)
(d) legal action
1. BOOKING AND USAGE RULES
AirBNB booking is for overnight recreational accommodation of approved overnight guests. Owner permission is required to use the premises for other purposes. Other purposes includes, but is not limited to: photoshoots, weddings, workshops, events, commercial retreats. Additional rates and restrictions apply, please contact us to discuss.
Unless prior written authorization has been granted:
• No parties or events.
• Only registered guests are allowed on the premises.
• No use of property for any purpose other than overnight recreational accommodation.
• No photography or video for commercial, professional, or student use.
• No third party bookings.
• No moving of furnishings (furniture, decor, plants, art, etc), both interior and exterior.
• No addition of furnishing items to premises (furniture, installations, decor, etc.)
• No overall alteration of the premises or any items on the premises.
2. GENERAL RULES
• No smoking indoors or within 250 feet of the property
• No pets. Evidence includes: pet hair, scratches on surfaces, markings on buildings or grounds anywhere.
• Please treat this property as if it were your own. Much of the furnishings are irreplaceable vintage, one-of-a-kind, and hand-built custom pieces. We share them with you in the spirit of trust and love.
• The scope of our Standard Cleaning Fee is normal guest wear and tear. If additional emergency cleaning/maintenance staff is needed to restore the property on schedule, guests agree to pay these additional costs in full. This puts considerable strain on our hard-working crew, and we would prefer to avoid this.
3. GOOD NEIGHBOR RULES
Please be aware that those neighboring you (human and non-human) also wish to enjoy the privacy, peace, and quiet of the desert. Please respect the neighborhood and understand that noise carries long distances in the quiet desert.
• Quiet Hours are between 10pm and 8am. Sound shall not extend beyond the property line. No outdoor amplified music and keep voices down.
• No use of remote-control aircraft (drones), firearms, flares, or other disruptive activities
• No bright lights at nightfall. Please turn off patio lighting when you turn in for the night.
4. NATURAL AREA RULES
This is a nature-immersed property. We are honored to share this land with abundant flora and fauna. We ask that you please treat the land with respect.
• Please please no glitter, balloons, confetti, colored powder or other similar items.
• Stay on designated walking paths.
• No camping.
• No pitching, placing, or securing of any items into the ground, vegetation, or rocks.
• Do not gather any natural materials.
• Do not disturb vegetation or approach animals.
• The Joshua Trees have a very shallow root system. Please do not lean on, climb, or engage in activity that would compromise their sensitive root system, this can lead to the trees collapsing.
• Pick up any outdoor trash particularly when turning in at night. The wind easily blows loose trash into the desert, which greatly impacts wildlife.
• There are many snakes species in the desert, including rattlesnakes. If you encounter snakes on the property please call us immediately. We will arrange for its immediate relocation by a local reptile specialist.
5. FIRE SAFETY
We are in a High Fire District. Fire is only allowed in designated areas on non-windy nights. Any cost incurred by a visit from the fire department for a guest caused incident is to be paid by the guest.
• Absolutely no open flames. This includes but is not limited to: sparklers, candles, fireworks, or fire lanterns.
• Extinguish/dispose of cigarettes responsibly.
• When windy, no fire in the outdoor fireplace.
6. OUTDOOR FIREPLACE RULES
• Always have a designated fire-attendant.
• Never leave the fire unattended.
• No large fires/sparks.
• Please use only firewood purchased for that purpose. No burning of rubbish, desert plant life from the surrounding area, or any other substances other than actual firewood.
7. POOL AND SPA RULES
• No lifeguard on duty. Swim at your own risk.
• Please shower before entering the pool or spa.
• Pool and spa for use by authorized guests only.
• Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
• No diving or jumping into the pool.
• No running or horseplay in pool area.
• No glass containers in pool area.
• Adults should not swim alone.
• Do not use the pool or spa if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
8. FEE SCHEDULE FOR UNAUTHORIZED ACTIVITY
If you are anticipating any activity on the premises beyond recreation overnight accommodation for the stated number of guests, PLEASE CONTACT US. Owner authorization is required and additional restriction and rates apply. We would be delighted to work with you in advance to ensure a great experience for all.
Otherwise, the following fee schedule applies for unauthorized activity:
Unauthorized Guests (non-event): $100 per person + applicable damages. Charged on a daily basis. This applies to vendors, day visitors, and any other person on the premises who is not an authorized guest.
Unauthorized Animals: $250 Biological/Animal Remediation Fee + any applicable damages. Charged on a per-building basis.
Unauthorized Smoking: $250 Smoke Remediation Fee + any applicable damages. Charged on a per-room basis.
Unauthorized Activity in Natural Areas: $250 Habitat Remediation Fee + any applicable damages. Charged on a per-incident basis.
Unauthorized Event: This includes, but is not limited to: weddings, retreats, workshops, filming, and parties. Charged on a daily basis. Person-count is inclusive of all people on premises within given a 24 hour period, including authorized overnight guests and vendors.
• 8 people or less: $1225 + applicable damages
• 9-16 people: $2500 + applicable damages
• 17-25 people: $5000 + applicable damages
• 26-35 people: $10,000 + applicable damages
• 36 or more people: $20,000 + applicable damages
A. House Rules: Renter agrees that the renter, their guests, and invited visitors will observe all House Rules listed above for the duration of their stay. A copy of these rules can be found on the Airbnb listing page, on our website (thehidesert [then] dot [then] com), as well as placed on premises in our House Guide.
B. Accidents: This home is privately owned; the owners and management are not responsible for any accidents, injuries, or illness that occurs on the premises or its facilities. Facilities include but are not limited to the use of any appliance, fixture, or furniture in the home, indoor and outdoor cooking areas, exercise room and workout equipment, pool, basketball court, elevator, tools, and any household items or supplies. The homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the renter/guests. Upon booking this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the property.
C. Water/Pool Dangers: Renter/Guests acknowledges that this home includes an outdoor pool and spa. Renter assumes all responsibility to ensure that their guests and visitors are safe while using the pool and spa. There is no lifeguard on duty and children under 14 are not permitted to use the pool and spa without adult supervision. The department of health prohibits diving in water depths less than 8 feet.
D. No Liability/Indemnification/Hold Harmless: The owners of the property do not assume liability for the loss, theft, damage, injury or death to persons or their personal property. Guests agree to indemnify and hold the owners harmless for any liabilities, theft, damage, cost, or expense whatsoever arising from or related to any claim or litigation which may arise out of, or in connection with Renter/Guests’ use and occupancy of the rental property, including but not limited to claims for personal injury, death, or personal property damage/loss.
Dangerous animals on property - We are in a desert with wild animals, they all pose a safety risk. A few venomous animals include: rattlesnakes, scorpions and black widow spiders.
Surveillance or recording devices on property - Video surveillance in use on these premises. Active recording by security camera facing into parking area. Sends video and audio.